Outdoor kitchens are one of the hottest real estate trends going. And why not? An outdoor kitchen will add a dimension to holiday get-togethers you never could have imagined and make those long lazy Toronto summer evenings under the stars unforgettable. Having proven their utility and value over and over any questions pertaining to outdoor kitchens these days typically come down to whether or not they’re a good fit for your home and lifestyle.
Is an Outdoor Kitchen Right for You?
Installing a backyard kitchen is a big decision, mainly because they’re not cheap and they’ll require a lot of effort to do right. So you’ll need to think carefully before you decide to go the backyard kitchen route. Here are a few things to consider that may help you make the right decision.
- The social aspect – Outdoor kitchens are first and foremost social platforms. They’re intended to elevate the quality of your social life on all fronts; from small family get-togethers to large holiday parties or business related functions. If you’re more of an introvert who likes quiet evenings in the study that’s great. If, on the other hand you’re always looking for excuses to have people over then an outdoor kitchen can be just what the doctor ordered.
- The practical aspect – While you may be a social lion who’s a perfect candidate for a backyard kitchen, there’s a chance you may run into some practical issues when you finally decide to build one. Outdoor kitchens generally require lots of space so if you have a small lot in the city you may have to get creative to make it work. You may also run afoul of building codes – especially in the city center – so you’ll want to research carefully before breaking ground.
- The food aspect – A backyard kitchen can significantly expand your culinary repertoire. If you’ve ever wheeled out the grille, tossed in the charcoal and spent the day preparing scrumptious barbecued delights for friends and family you know that it’s not the kind of cooking you can do indoors. In fact, any type of food that benefits from a smokey process or which exudes strong odours that might linger are also ideally suited to the backyard kitchen.
- Affordability – Cost becomes an issue whenever you’re talking about home renovations or additions. Building materials, appliances and labor are not cheap so when you’re mulling over whether or not an outdoor kitchen might be right for you you’ll need to first figure out how much you can actually afford to spend. It’s important to be realistic. If you determine that it’s doable, it will be important to stay on budget throughout the process.
- Return on investment – Some folks decide to build a backyard kitchen solely to add market value to their home. But is this a sound strategy? Evidence points to the idea that it is; as long as it’s done properly. Many reliable sources state that well-designed outdoor kitchens can return more than 100% of their cost at the time of sale. So while most people will build an al fresco kitchen to enhance their social life, those seeking ROI won’t be disappointed either.
Outdoor kitchens address a range of interests all along the homeowner spectrum from practical to social to financial and more. They’re a great way to integrate the house with the yard, to enhance your home’s entertainment profile and to create added value. If you’re thinking about adding an outdoor kitchen to your home call the professionals at Toronto Decks and Fence. We’re the company more homeowners in the GTA trust to create stunning backyard decks, pergolas, fencing and outdoor kitchens.