When it comes to outdoor construction projects, many of our customers express the desire to be able to save money and to proudly say they did some or all of the work themselves. These are very powerful incentives for homeowners with an interest in DIY projects, whether it’s something as simple as building a bird house or a more intense construction project like building a pool deck or above ground deck. At Toronto decks and fence company, we like to encourage our customers to challenge themselves with projects they believe they can handle, but are here to share knowledge and expertise whenever requested.
If you’ve decided you want to take on a pool deck yourself, please keep these tips in mind:
- Find out what permits are necessary. Most communities will require you to pull a building permit for the pool, a non-climbable fence surrounding the pool, and any electricity you’re planning to run for the pump, filter, or lighting or other accessories. Always remember to contact the local electrical company, which will dispatch a crew to survey your property and mark where underground electrical lines may be buried.
- Do some research to get an idea of what style of pool deck or above ground deck may or may not be appropriate for your pool or outdoor living area. Here are questions to think about. If you have an above ground pool, will the deck become a feature of an existing decking around the patio area? For an in-ground pool, will the deck be ground-level, multi-level, or some other design?
- Figure out how much space you’ll need to build the pool deck. Unfortunately, M.E. contracting has been asked by many homeowners to complete their DIY project because they started constructing something too big for their outdoor space, and needed us to salvage the job. It likely cost them more time and money than if they had contacted our team in the first place.
- Always remember to decide on a plan that fits your tastes and budget.
- A DIY pool deck means you’ll be responsible for purchasing and transporting wood and other building supplies for the project. We always recommend that customers take their plans to the local lumber yard and get a price list, then do the same with a few other favorite suppliers before buying anything. For outdoor projects, pressure treated wood is the best option.
Finally, think about using outdoor carpeting for at least a portion of your pool deck or above ground deck, the two areas where you, family, and friends are most likely to sit or sunbathe. Besides being cooler on the feet in warm weather, outdoor carpeting is durable and will help to increase the lifespan of your deck.
For more than a decade, Toronto decks and fence company has been the number one outdoors contractor in the Greater Toronto Area and has hundreds of satisfied customers in Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Vaughan, Maples, and Markham. The company’s staff is highly trained and certified, offering cutting-edge design and installation services for a wide variety of outdoor and home improvement projects, including traditional landscaping and construction. call us for a free consultation today at 416-238-2589