When it comes to select fence for your house, you will be overwhelmed by how many types of wood fences and other options available for you to choose. But the decision depends mainly on two major factors:
* Form that is style and type.
* Function that is what is the functionality of the fence. Its practical purpose.
Very often the form and function merge together and the outcome is very good. But this is not always the case for example chain-link fencing and other metal products often make for superior security fences but they do not serve the security purpose. Therefore, if the intended function of your fencing is security, then you have to go with the metal fence because the wood fence will not serve this function.
Types of Wood Fences: Form Related
When choosing between types of wood fences, consider that the fence must be compatible with your house style and your landscape style.
* Split-rail wood fences and other wood fence designs are compatible with Ranch-style houses.
* Picket-style fencing is natural fit for Cottage-style homes.
Types of Wood Fences: Function Related
* Sometimes, wood fences inspite of their beauty may not serve the purpose for if the homeowner wants to keep animals in the yard like dogs then electric dog fence is right. And still some owners want to keep animals like deer out of the yard so deer fencing is needed.
* Security is another practical function for which owners need a fence. For such purpose, metal fencing is the best choice as it is superior to wood fence for security reasons.
But by all means wood fence is the best in terms of beauty and appearance. Wood fences serve the purpose of privacy, and are best for noise and visual barriers. The stockade style of a wood fence design can afford a solid visual barrier between your yard and your neighbor’s thus resulting in almost total privacy. The same purpose can be resolved by constructing a masonry work fence with bricks and mortar but the costs significantly is much more than a wood fence.
Still others prefer to compromise on privacy and choose wood fences to add beauty and country style look with air and light circulation. For example tall-picket fencing affords partial privacy as can lattice fencing.
A most popular alternative to privacy fencing options is a hybrid wood fence design: i.e., a solid barrier constructed with bricks up to three-quarters of the fencing, with lattice on top to allow air and light and also look elegant.
The most common factor in choosing fencing is their potential compatibility with the landscape design. The wood fence whether made from solid wood or airier wood must be in harmony with other elements of the house like garden, back yard, patio, outdoor storage etc.
You must also remember that wood is vulnerable and can be damaged by water, and may dry, rot, and can be attacked by termites and insects. It demands treatment and maintenance from time to time.