You’ve decided to go ahead with the deck and have sketched some rough ideas how you want it to look. Now comes the hard part: finding a decking company to help you refine the design and build it for you. Working with contractors can be a bit of a hit or miss proposition, especially if you don’t vet them properly. But while it’s important to sit down with a prospective contractor for a Q&A session you also need to look beyond the answers to determine if they’re likely to work out.
Look for These Signs When Choosing a Decking Company
The vast majority of contractors are honest, hardworking people whose collective reputation tends to suffer due to the small number of bad apples in their midst. Still, it’s possible to separate the good from the bad and here are a half dozen things that can indicate a decking company can be trusted.
- They’re patient with you – You’ve never put a deck on your house before and you don’t have a lot of experience with contractors. As a result you have a lot of questions and sometimes seem to be unsure how to proceed. A contractor just out to collect the advance will likely cut you loose, while an experienced pro will hang in there with you.
- They welcome your input – Some contractors seem to have very little interest in what you have to say. You tell them what you want and show them your preliminary ideas. They brush them aside and try to sell you something completely different. A confident, committed professional will work with you to bring your idea to life.
- They provide whatever documentation you ask for – When selecting a decking company it’s crucial to make sure they have full liability coverage, that their workers are covered by workman’s compensation and that they’re fully licensed. A real professional will happily provide you with all the documentation you need to put your mind at ease.
- They don’t ask inappropriate questions – If, during the initial visit to your house the contractor asks something like “Are you alone here during the day?” you should thank them for their time and see them out: likewise if they ask your credit score or if they can see other contractor’s bids. A real pro will keep things courteous and appropriate at all times.
- They anticipate your needs – An experienced pro will come prepared to the initial consultation. They’ll have a portfolio to show you and provide you with references before you think to ask. They’ll ask about your budget early on only so that the conversation can focus on real-world possibilities and how you can make the most of your money.
- They answer your phone calls – You’ll find some contractors who, once they feel they’ve reeled you in quickly move on to other concerns and leave their office staff or subordinates to “deal” with you. A responsible committed professional will give you their number and stay accessible. They’ll never push you off on someone else or fail to take your call.
Finding the right contractor may take a while and involve a few fits and starts unless you begin with the decking company more Toronto homeowners trust for all their backyard construction needs: Toronto Decks and Fence. We have a well-deserved reputation for customer care that is a reflection of the foundation principles on which the company is built. We’ll help you create the deck you’ve always wanted at a price you can afford and you’ll never feel like an outsider during any stage of the process. Give us a call and find out more.