Native to dozens of countries and spread out over many families or species, cedar has been revered for thousands of years (mentioned in the bible as the primary building material of the jewish temple) because of its broad range of applications , including rope, clothing, baskets, canoes, masks, roofing materials, and many others.
Over the last several decades, it’s also become an ideal building material for cedar decking and serves as a premier product line offered by Toronto Decks and Fence Company. For more than 10 years, we’ve been the number one outdoor construction company in the Greater Toronto Area, utilizing cedar decking for projects for hundreds of satisfied residential and business customers.
Cedar decking offers many benefits when compared to other building materials, such as:
- It won’t shrink, even when regularly exposed to rain, snow, or other environmental factors.
- Cedar decking has significant natural insulation properties, meaning it retains warmth and is easy to walk on with bare feet.
- Cedar has natural preservatives, making it resistant to moisture, decay, and damage from insects.
- Cedar decking has a high tolerance for heat, meaning it’s not only difficult to burn but also prohibits the spread of flames and smoke if it does catch on fire.
- This type of wood is an excellent option for any outdoor deck that is used year-round, simply because of its durability and ability to withstand environmental extremes.
As deck builders, one of the things we look for in any deck construction material is its “workability,” which is the hallmark of cedar. Naturally lightweight, cedar has a fine, straight grain and uniform texture making it easy to mill, even with common hand tools. This means that, if necessary, one of our carpenters can use a hand saw to trim a piece of cedar in no time at all – try that with Ipe decking, for instance. These features are ideal when constructing cedar decking that needs to be planed to a smooth surface and in any pattern or detail a customer may request.
Cedar decking may be more expensive initially than pine or pressure treated, for instance, but has a higher cost-to-benefit ratio because of its natural resistance to environmental damage – and won’t need to be refinished as often, either. But like any other building material, cedar decking will benefit from regular maintenance. For dirt, warm water mixed with mild dish soap will do the trick, but mold and mildew may require a mild bleach solution or commercial mildew cleaner.
If you’re interested in naturally beautiful cedar deck that will last for decades, call the design and installation professionals at Toronto Decks and Fence Company for a free consultation. we will show up at your home, evaluate your deck plans, learn about your needs and show you our book of projects.
Call today: 416-238-2589