Custom decks are a great way for homeowners to enhance their ability to entertain, increase the usable space of their house, add substantial market value to that house and create innumerable life-long memories. That may sound like a lot but it’s completely within the realm of possibilities if you take care during the design process to create a deck that speaks to your values and tastes. In this post we’ll cover the major considerations that go into designing the deck of your dreams.
The 7 Elements of Successful Custom Decks
Creating the perfect deck for your Toronto home is not rocket science, it’s thoughtful examination of your options and a dedication to remaining true to your tastes and aspirations. Here are 7 things you’ll want to do to make sure you wind up with the perfect deck.
- Get involved with the design – While it’s important to hire professional designers to get things right it’s also important that you get involved in the process. Watch where the designer is going with your deck and if you see something you don’t like, speak up. Remember the designer is there to help you realize your vision, not tell you what you want.
- Build to code – Building codes exist for a reason; to ensure that custom decks are safe for everyone who uses them. That’s a good thing because you don’t want your family and friends involved in a deck collapse. So there’s no reason to circumvent codes. Instead, work within them and build a deck that will produce the “wows” and stand the test of time.
- Explore new materials – Composites and even plastic are grabbing a larger share of the deck market as homeowners discover their low maintenance durability and manufacturers are better able to mimic the appearance of real wood. You may decide in the end to go for natural redwood but you owe it to yourself to investigate the new materials as well.
- Sweat the details – While determining the right size and configuration of your deck is important it’s just as important to get the details right. Once the general layout and material are decided take time to think about the banisters, posts, caps and other details. These little touches will play a large part in making the deck an enjoyable experience.
- Incorporate plants – Don’t forget about incorporating plants into your new environment. Without them the deck, especially if it’s large, will feel a bit cold. You can incorporate plant life either directly with built-in planters or indirectly by leaving space for freestanding ones. You might also want to run vines up a trellis to create privacy and shade.
- Pick the right furniture – Beautiful custom decks aren’t much without comfortable furniture for the guests. You’ll want to give ample thought to style, material, color and textures and whether you want upholstered or non-upholstered furniture. Table and chair sets with large umbrellas are a popular choice as are outdoor couches and chaise lounges.
- Don’t forget about lighting – Lighting schemes today have moved beyond the tiki torch and now use things like energy-efficient LED lights of all shapes, sizes, colors and intensities to generate atmosphere and mood and to define space and create focal points. If it’s the “wow” factor you’re after, nothing will create it like a first-rate lighting scheme.
Toronto Decks and Fence can help you create a backyard deck that will reinvigorate your entire property and add substantial value to your home. Our designers work closely with you to ensure the final design exceeds your most optimistic expectations and provides you many years of safe, comfortable enjoyment. Call us today to find out more about custom decks.