There used to be times when people had to fill out and file their income tax forms by hand, or pay handsomely to have a professional tax preparer do it for them. But now, they can install a computer program or use free online software to do the same thing. The same can be said for touching up photographs, balancing bank accounts, or even designing homes and outdoor projects with a few keystrokes and mouse clicks.
When it comes to designing decks, many do-it-yourselfers turn to 3D deck design programs that allow them to design a deck from scratch, choose from thousands of existing plans, and have a build-ready-plan printed and ready to go in a few hours.
At Toronto Decks and Fence Company (TDFC), our professional installers use a combination of commercial-off-the-shelf 3D deck design software, as well as custom, in-house solutions allowing us to tailor designs to fit any style or budget. Many of our customers have asked about using these programs on their own, and we highly encourage them to become familiar with such tools to understand their capabilities and drawbacks before making a final decision.
If you’re evaluating 3D deck design programs, keep in mind the following:
- The best way to research and evaluate 3D deck design programs is online, using Google, Bing, or some other search tool. A website such as CNET is a good place to start, too.
- Many 3D deck design programs available for PCs or Apple computers can be downloaded as free trial evaluations. Pay attention to download requirements, making sure your computer has enough RAM, processing power, the correct graphics card, and other features for the software to run properly.
- Not all free software is actually free. Some titles can be downloaded for evaluation with limited or reduced functionality; others expire after the trial period has ended and require the user to buy a software key or license to continue using it.
- Look for software specific to your deck design project, as these offer the most capabilities and features you’ll need.
- The best 3D deck design programs include dozens of pre-designed templates to get you started; some may even include state by state or country specific forms for permits and other requirements.
Whether you want to design a deck on your own or have the professionals at Toronto Decks & Fence Company do it for you, 3D deck design programs offer capabilities and features not available only a few short years ago – with more being added each year. To utilize these programs, you owe it to yourself to understand what they can and cannot do based on your needs and comfort level.
Call us today for an in house, free, no-obligation consultation, our professional deck design & installation contractors can help you conceptualize the right deck for your backyad and can even show you some of our deck design book of work. Call 416-238-2589 today and book your consultation.